Since a Texas marriage license is valid for only 30 days from its purchase date, applicants should apply one to two weeks before the scheduled date of their marriage. Your marriage license can be obtained at any county courthouse throughout the state.
» requirements to obtain your Texas marriage license
- All applicants must provide proof of age and identity with a valid Texas drivers license, valid Texas DPS I.D., Military I.D., passport, or any certificate of License issued by this state, another state, the U.S. government or a foreign government.
- Each applicant is required to provide a Social Security card or proof of social security number.
- The cost is $66 cash (no checks) and $6 in Bexar County if couples bring in the "Twogether in Texas" certificate (www.twogetherintexas.com) . Prices may vary in different counties.
- The legal age to obtain a marriage license without parental consent in Texas is 18 years of age. Application of age is 16 with parental consent.
- No blood test is required.
- If either applicant has been recently divorced, the state requires a 30-day waiting period from the date of the filed divorce decree, unless waived by the court. Female applicants are required to submit a certified copy of final decree showing their restored maiden name if different from current identification.
- The license is good for 30 days from the date of purchase. However, there is a 72-hour waiting period from the time the license was purchased until the time the ceremony can be performed. Active duty military personnel are exempt. Both parties do not to need to be active military for the waiting period to be waived.
- Applicants between the ages of 16-18 must be accompanied by one parent, to sign legal consent. A minor must have a certified copy of birth certificate, photo I.D. and proof of Social Security. If parents are divorced, the parent granted custody must submit a certified copy of their divorce decree in order to sign consent.
Courthouses in and around San Antonio
Kerr County Clerks Office
700 Main, Rm 122
Wilson County Clerks Office
1420 3rd Street, Rm 105
Comal County Courthouse
100 Main Plaza, Rm 102
Guadalupe County Courthouse
101 East Court Street
830-303-4188 (ext. 235)
Kendall County Clerks Office
201 East San Antonio Street, Rm 127
Bexar County Courthouse
101 W. Nueva, Ste 120
San Antonio, TX